Thursday, May 21, 2009

Professional reading inbox: Flynn effect

A feature I've used at my other professional blogs (IQs Corner; IQ Brain Clock) is the professional reading "inbox." On a weekly basis (for nearly 20 years) I search the Current Contents/Behavioral and Social Sciences index and flag any and all journal articles relevant to my professional interests. This now includes articles related to the purpose of the Intellectual Competence and the Death Penalty blog. I import all flagged references into a private reference manager software program (current n = approx 40,000). From each weeks flagged set of articles I then acquire PDF copies of articles I plan to skim and/or read in greater depth (for eventual blog posts).

To alert readers to the literature I'm reading (which likely will result in future blog posts), and also to alert readers to articles they may have an interest in, I cut-and-paste a copy of the journal author, title, and abstract into a PDF file. I then post these "inbox" files for viewing by readers. For this blog there will be separate inbox for specific topics (e.g., IQ testing; Professional Standards and Ethics; Flynn effect; etc.). You will find the different inboxes on the right hand side of the blog page. The list will grow over time.

Today I'm making my first inbox post. The first is the Flynn effect inbox. One cannot read much literature (journal articles and/or court rulings) that do not make reference to the Flynn effect and changes in IQ scores over time. The extant literature is massive. I've only posted two recent articles I plan to skim. To illustrate the extent of this literature I ran a search of my reference database for articles that make some reference to the Flynn effect. It can be viewed by clicking here. There are many more than those listed in my list. Also, Dr. Flynn has recently summarized the gist of his research on this work in the book What is intelligence: Beyond the Flynn effect. At some point I plan to digest as much of this literature as I can and post some general comments and conclusions. Or, I might seek out other intelligence researches to make guest posts re: this literature.

Click here to access Flynn effect inbox

I do know, via attendance at a number of recent ISIR conferences, that more recent (and emerging, yet to be published) research is resulting in new questions and controversies being raised about the specific nature and generalization of the usual Flynn effect findings and rules-of-thumb for average IQ score changes per year/decade.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,