Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Arboleda Ortiz Atkins death penalty commuted by Obama



The press is all a buzz about President Obama's commutation of Chelsey Manning's prison sentence (for leaking classified information).  What has flown under the radar among Obama's commutations is his commutation of Arboleda Ortiz's Atkins-related death penalty to life without the possibility of parole.  I have previously refrained from commenting on this case given that I provided expert declarations for Mr. Ortiz's defense team.  In fact, this was my first ever Atkin's case.  Prior FYI posts re: Ortiz can be found here.

A brief ABA Journal article about this commutation can be found here.  It is my understanding that this was the first such presidential grant since 1999.  I will provide more details as they become available.